Mary's Little Office

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Translation


Over the great Road of life the Divine Outcast of the world wanders day and night. Before each heart-door He begs for admittance. Watch Him as He walks up the lane and taps with infinite tenderness on the crimson casements of the throbbing pulses of the world. Before some, He stands and waits; moss-covered are the steps and moldy is the casement; there is no life within, no response to the loving pleadings of the Outcast. He turns sadly away. Through lordly mansion-gates He passes, and on the marble steps before the heavy oaken door He stands expectant. Music and song and laughter reach the Outcast's ear. He knocks, but no one hears; so, heartsore and weary, He moves away.

Other doors are ivy-clad and weed-entangled. Who cares enough for the lonely Outcast to pare down the vine and uproot the weeds of many, many years?

There are thousands upon thousands―and thousands again―in the world and in the cloister who lead magnificent lives and who are pleasing to God, but there are few who give God all He asks. "He came unto His own and His own received Him not!"

Thus along the Road of Life the eager but thwarted Outcast makes His way, and with love and fear commingled, taps upon the hearth of His chosen ones within the Convent walls and cloistered Monastery.

A great moment this, when the trustful expectant Saviour awaits the welcome He will receive! He will enter and sup with them, and their hearts will be transformed into "Living Temples" wherein will dwell the Source of Goodness and of Love. Here He will reveal to each shoul in intimate converse a deeper and more practical understanding of this truth:―"God is the Divine Guest of my soul."


O blessed Outcast God
Athirst for me,
Coming a beggar to my door
All suppliantly,
Craving for a shelter
In my poor heart,
A thought, a word of sympathy and love,
A Home apart.

And must Thou knock and ever knock,
Till life is flown,
Seeking vain entrance to a heart,
That is Thine own?
Or wilt Thou rather work this hour
Such change in me,
That here You'll find a shelter
Warm for Thee?

Jesus, my God, Outcast Divine,
The world has no time for Thee―
Too busy to heed Thy gentle Voice, 
Too blind Thy charms to see.
Jesus, my Love, Outcast Divine,
Come and abide with me;
Tho' the world be cold, my heart shall hold 
A shelter always for Thee.

Jesus, my God, Outcast Divine,
What shall I do for Thee?
I will shelter Thee always within my soul,
My only Love shalt Thou be.
Jesus, my All, Outcast Divine,
This will I do for Thee,
I will give Thee a Home within my soul, 
And tenderly care for Thee.

I'll shelter Thee when it's sunshine,
I'll shelter Thee when it's grey,
I'll shelter Thee through the night Lord,
I'll shelter Thee all the day.
No one will ever dislodge Thee
From this home within my soul,
Here I will turn, and love thee
Till my heart beats the final toll.  



"IN LOVE WITH THE DIVINE OUTCAST."
Anonymous

Pellegrini & Company

Sydney, Australia, 1934




No comments:

Post a Comment