Mary's Little Office

Monday, June 4, 2018

Love for Mary


We should love Mary:
  
Because she is the Mother of Jesus: of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ (Matt. I. 16).

Can we love the Son without loving the Mother, above all, a Mother like Mary who so closely resembles her Son? Our love for Jesus would not ring true, it would be of short duration if it were not accompanied by a very special love for the Most Blessed Virgin: these two loves are always inseparable. The more the love of Jesus increases in a heart, the more the love of Mary grows there; and the more a soul loves Mary, the more will it love Jesus. We have instances of this in St. Bernard and St. Alphonsus. St. John Berchmans is another instance: in his ardent desire to be a great friend of Jesus he used to cry out I wish to love Mary! I wish to love Mary! 

Prayer:

O Mary, Mother of God and my Mother, thou hast all power to change hearts; take mine and change it. Give me a great love for Jesus; give me a great love for thee. Amen.


Short Meditations for Priests
From the French of Rev. A. M. Meley, C.SS.R.
M. H. Gill & Son, Dublin, 1957

No comments:

Post a Comment