Mary's Little Office

Monday, November 26, 2018

If Only



IF ONLY

          I wish I'd been a child, dear God,
          When You were little too!
          O! Think of all the lovely things
          We would have thought to do!
          Perhaps I would have lived across
          The street, and every day
          Perhaps You would have asked me to
          Come over, God, and play?
          Perhaps You would have taught me how
          To saw up wood or clean
          The shop or build a little house?
          What fun that would have been!
          And then perhaps when we had worked
          At that for quite a while,
          Your Mother would have come right in
          And kissed us with a smile!
          O! If only I'd been a child
          When You were little too!
          Just think, dear God, of all the things
          We would have thought to do!


Mary Dixon Thayer

Faith & Freedom , Ginn & Company, 1949
For use in Catholic Grade Schools



St. Michael Pray of Us!


784,540

No comments:

Post a Comment