Mary's Little Office

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Feast of St. Andrew, Apostle

Andrew was a faithful follower of the holy precursor of our Divine Saviour, whose his zeal merited for him the happiness of being the first called by Jesus. As Jesus walked about, St. John pointed Him out with the words: "Behold, the Lamb of God, Who taketh away the sins of the world." Andrew immediately understood the call of grace and did not hesitate one moment to answer it. When Andrew, together with the other disciple, in answer to the invitation, walked after Jesus, but out of reverence dared not address Him, the Master Himself paused and turned to him saying: "What seek you?" O infinite goodness of Jesus! He knew the wish of the disciples to remain with Him and also their timidity, therefore He willed to encourage them to express their wish.

If Jesus should ask me: "What seek you?" could I answer: "I seek Thy glory and honor, the salvation of my soul and of the souls entrusted to me," or should I be compelled to confess that in my works of piety and charity I seek myself, my honor and the satisfaction of self-love? If in reality I seek Jesus why, then, do I fear humiliations, why am I disheartened at failure in my undertakings, and why do I yield to sensitiveness when recognition and appreciation are denied me? Answering our Lord with the counter-question, "Master, where dwells Thou?" Andrew and his companions heard the happy response: "Come and see." O sweet word of goodness and love, which filled the two disciples with consolation and joy, because it gave them the assurance that the Redeemer will not cast them away, but will be their Leader and their Master! Jesus addresses the same words to the soul that has answered His first invitation to a life of perfection: "Come and see My life of poverty, of obedience, of mortification and charity and imitate it. Be pure as I am pure, obedient, poor and devoted, like to Me in all things." Have I, in the past, faithfully corresponded to the invitations of my Saviour, or have I not often paused on the way because I deemed it too hard or rugged? O Jesus, grant me grace, from this day forward, like St. Andrew, to follow Thee on the way of perfection, with cheerful determination and fidelity. 

Affections: O Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, in infinite love Thou hast called me, like St. Andrew, to the apostolic career. Impart to me, I pray Thee, through the merits of Thy holy Apostle, a spark of that zeal for souls which filled his heart, that I may lead many souls to Thy Sacred Heart. Impart to me a spark of the love of the cross which filled the heart of St. Andrew, that I may at all times carry my daily cross cheerfully and patiently for love of Thee and in union with Thy infinite merits, and so be made worthy to glorify Thee through the cross and win many souls to Thy love. 

Thou, holy and Immaculate Virgin, who with thy virginal foot didst crush the serpent's head, help us to achieve the victory and glorify God by a holy life.

Resolution: We will cheerfully make every sacrifice for which opportunity presents itself, and encourage others, by our example, to love the cross. 


Take, O Lord

Take, O Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my whole will. Thou hast given me all that I am and all that I possess; I surrender it all to Thee that Thou mayest dispose of it according to Thy Will. Give me only Thy love and Thy grace; with these I will be rich enough, and will have no more to desire. 
     (Indulgence of 300 days, once a day.―Pope Leo XIII, May 26, 1883.)

Jesus - The Model of Religious 
Frederick Pustet Co.,  1925
Volume One



1 comment: