Mary's Little Office

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

First Thursday of Advent

Photo Story

In an ecstasy of longing, the prophet cries out: "Let the clouds rain the Just!" He entreats the Divine Majesty to send upon the earth the desired of all Creation, Whose advent should repair the evils that sin brought upon the whole world, and Whom, in His infinite love, He promised to mankind. The clouds, say the saints, are symbolic of the Blessed Virgin, for as they fructify the parched earth with refreshing rain, so Mary in her Immaculate Conception is elevated far above human sinfulness, and by her divine maternity, gives us Jsesus, the Author and Source of all graces, Who calls Himself the Source of living waters. He alone is the Just, the sole Mediator between God and man; He is the infinitely holy One, for all men the sublime Exemplar of every virtue, and union with Him will make us, too, holy and just. In our daily mediations we should, therefore, fervently entreat Him: Come, Lord Jesus, come, enter my poor heart, and with the fire of Thy divine love consume my pride and obstinacy, my tepidity and indolence, my want of courage and my evil desires. Destroy in me all self love and coldness; live and reign in my heart forever. The ardent desire for Jesus and His heavenly gifts, say the mystical writers, is a good indication, for God ordinarily imparts His gifts according to the measure of our longing, and withholds them at times rot intensify our desires. 
  Are we animated by such a holy desire, and does it impel us to entreat, to knock, to seek, and to stake all that it may be stilled?

Affections:  O Holy Spirit, refresh our hearts with the dew of divine grace, and extinguish therein the fire of passion. One only desire shall, henceforth, fill my heart: that of union with my God and Saviour, my Redeemer and Bridegroom. Take out of my heart all desires and inclinations that tend not to Thy love. Let me ever better recognize my utter misery. Tear asunder the clouds of deception with which self-love envelops my spirit; replenish my heart with a burning ardor and a desire for Thy grace. Thy love, and Thy possession. Live, move and reign evermore in our hearts, O Jesus. 
  O holy Virgin, who didst ardently long for the coming of the Redeemer, let us share the ardor of thy love and thy desire, and thus prepare for Him a worthy dwelling-place in our hearts.

Resolution: We will frequently exit in our hearts a burning desire for Jesus and His grace. 


Soul of Christ

Soul of Christ, be my sanctification.
Body of Christ, be may salvation.
Blood of Christ, fill all my veins.
Water of Christ's side, wash out my stains.
Passion of Christ, my comfort be.
O good Jesus, listen to me.
In Thy wounds I fain would hide,
Ne'er to be parted from Thy side.
Guard me should the the foe assail me.
Call me when my life shall fail me.
Bid me come to Thee above.
With Thy Saints to sing Thy love.
World without end.  Amen.  

Jesus - The Model of Religious 
Frederick Pustet Co.,  1925
Volume One



No comments:

Post a Comment